We sailed right through today

Today was a different sort of a day.  We briefly looked at the folks finishing up the electric and the heating.  We unloaded some of our cargo that we brought up from California.

But what really made the day different is heading into Port Townsend to go sailing. I’ve always felt sailing was in my blood, but have had few opportunities in the past couple of decades.  Today was our first outing on Port Townsend Bay.  We were out for about four hours. Pictures to follow.


Third trip this summer….getting to really like this place, again.

We just got back from another three week trip. The weather was beautiful…perhaps too beautiful with only two days with any rain and weather as warm as the 80s…IMG_3746quite surprising and some amazing clouds and fabulous sunsets.








Michael had done a lot of working taking down the bathhouse, and Brian finished removal.

Then we were able to proceed with hiring someone to clear the site and begin leveling it.  This is the most the county would allow us to do before we receive our building permit.  IMG_3786

IMG_3818 IMG_3836

















They are not being very cooperative….or perhaps just moving a lot slower that we would like.  Some friends suggested that the best way to keep them working was to have our contractor nudge them.  He called last Monday and was told there was a flag in our file that had to do with the septic system.  We tried to reach that part of the county…environmental health, but they did not return our three calls.  During the last half hour of Thursday, they don’t respond to the public on Friday, I got a reception that said the flag was there, but the health inspector had not yet viewed the files and they would send a letter.  Besides everything else, I was appalled that they would use a letter.  What if they sent us a letter in CA when we were in WA or in WA while we were in CA.  I suggested email or a phone call is much more efficient, but I don’t think they will do it.


We also moved the old school bus that had been in the area behind the house site.IMG_3835 Last trip it was moved up to next to the house site, and this trip it was moved (towed by Mike and Brian using our backhoe) all the way out of the area. first near our barn and then using the excavator, clearingthe area further and they put it next to our steel “barn” and also pulled our old flat bed truck out of the forest.  It is almost a piece of art.




We did manage to get one bike ride in this trip also, four miles and back on the first part of the Olympic Discovery Trail into Port Townsend starting from our old friend Dashley’s house.IMG_3775  IMG_3777He is passionate about the bike trail and shared a story with us about his first ride around the Olympic National Park way back in 1960 when he was a teenager living on the northside of Seattle.  I see that he has an updated version of that story available on line.

The other big work project we did on this trip involved a new tool that Brian bought, a Stihl Pole Saw.  IMG_3767We did a lot of clean up of trees in the various groves, cutting off, primarily dead. branches to make it easier to walk around and just opening up the space.  I wish I had a before and after picture.  We also did a lot of trimming along the road/driveway into the property as it was getting where branches were scraping vehicles as they went by.